Saturday, September 17, 2005

New Celtic Frost coming soon

I just read that Celtic Frost have finished their first album in 13 years. The album is tentatively titled Dark Matter Manifest. I know Tom G. and Martin Ain are in the line-up, but I am not sure who else. So will this be cause for celebration or is just going to be another lackluster reunion album? I am curious about it, but I probably won't be buying it right away. Back around 1987, I was a big Celtic Frost fan. I loved what they did from 84-86 and although it's different, I do indeed like Into the pandemonium. Anyone who knows this band knows what happened in 1988. They released Cold Lake and all of a sudden these guys were trying to look pretty (or at least not ugly), the heavy sound was gone and they were prancing around in a lame video. They really sounded like they were trying to combine early death metal and glam metal and it was rotten. The album did not do well and they went back to a heavier sound with Vanity/ Nemisis in 1990. Although Vanity/nemesis was good, I think they had lost a lot of fans with Cold Lake and some people had written them off. They did a last album in 92 that was part a best of plus it had some re-recorded tracks and some previously unreleased songs. I have never heard it, but most responses said it was good. Celtic Frost were very heavy for the mid 80's and really helped to shape death metal and even influenced the doom metal scene as well. Nothing will change what they did from 84-87 not even Cold Lake, but I have to wonder what do they have left to give? I feel that they were highly influential on bands starting out in the late 80's and early 90's, but have they been passed up by the same bands they influenced? It happened to Venom and Raven back in the 80's so it can happen. I am sure they know that they can't simply redo To Megatherion now and expect people to like it. They need to have some of the sound from their prime, but they need to add something to the sound as well. I would think that this would not be a particularly easy task for anyone. Still I am interested in what the new album will be like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home