Thursday, November 10, 2005

Ten things I think about metal in 1985

So far I have written five reviews of metal/hard rock albums from 1985 and I have another one coming soon. I am also planning on doing my tope ten albums of 1985 in December. While preparing a top ten and writing reviews I have listened to more albums from 85 than I normally would. Doing this has caused me to think more about the metal scene during that year and so I decided to make a list about those thoughts. So here in no particular order are ten things I think about metal in 1985.

1) I think Twisted Sister were on the verge of breaking it big time, but tanked it by choosing the wrong songs to release as singles.
2) I think 1985 had was possibly the best year in the decade for good debut albums.
3) I think after ten years of very good releases with three different bands, Ronnie James Dio was starting to lose some of his fire.
4)I think Motley Crue's Theater of pain outfits were some of the worst outfits worn by any metal band during the decade and that is saying a lot.
5)I think Yngwie Malmsteen lost a lot of steam by making a second album so similar to his 1984 debut.
6)I think the speed metal scene grew considerably between the beginning and end of 1985.
7)I think it's a shame Armored Saint didn't get more recognition.
8)I think Metal Blade and Combat records did as much if not more for the metal scene than any of the major labels in 1985.
9)I think this was the year that I realized that Paul Stanley had started wearing a guitar instead of playing it.
10)I think that I still have not completely gotten over David Lee Roth not being in Van Halen.

1 Comments:

Blogger T-_Bone said...

That's a pretty funny list. The only thing I don't agree with is that I loved Yngwie's Marching Out album, less instrumental, and more "song" oriented. One of my favorite albums that year.

I especially think you hit the nail on the head with Dio, though he had done some decent things in the last 20 years, nothing tops his period from 1976-1984.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home