Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Almost halfway through the year

I know it's a month shy of being halfway through the year, but I have been thinking of how the year has been so far for music. So far this year Axl Rose has been showing up all over the place, Queensryche released a sequel to one of their most popular albums, Celtic Frost's first album since the early 90's just came out and that's just for starters. I really have not heard a lot of releases yet this year. The two biggest standouts so far to me have been the Sword's Age of winters and Wolfmother. Both bands that received a lot of hype, but both acts deliver as far as I am concerned.

So how do you think 2006 has been so far for music?

So far I am not sure it has been as good as last year, but there still a lot of time left. Iron Maiden will hopefully have an album out this year, Trouble have a reunion album due soon and maybe some other surprises will pop up as well. Who knows the best album of the year may be yet to come and perhaps it could even come from an unexpected source.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jay Noel said...

OK, first off - your new template is kick ass.

I'd say 2006 is becomming a great year for metal. I think people are wanting to relive days of yesteryear.

When you see The Def Leppard story on VH1, you know there's a demand for a revisit to the days of metal and hard rock.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Phoenix; and I think Vh1 has done a lot to foster the "rebirth", if you will. That, and the fact that two of my favorite bands, Queensryche and Tool, released new cds. Frankly, I haven't been this excited about music in quite a long time.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that things have been slow so far but there are some good things coming out now. You mentioned Celtic Frost. There is a new Voivod on the way and even a new SLAYER!

By the way, have you seen the movie, Metal: A Headbangers Journey yet? If you haven't, you should check it out.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I agree that so far it's been a good year. Like Bruce, I am a fan of Queensryce, so I was very excited about O:M II being released. I aslo heard that Tool's new album is great. I have been listening to the latest Godsmack album and I really enjoy it. Overall, so far I think it's going really well.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Phoenix-Thanks. Pixie did a great job.

Bruce-I don't have cable, but that's good that VH1 is doing that.

Fred- I have not heard the new Celtic Frost yet. I am not that huge on Voivod. I did hear a snipet of a new Slayer song on their website, but it's hard to tell much from it. I have not seen that movie yet, but have heard good things about it.

Mike-I still have not heard OM2, but I should be getting it from the library soon.

11:49 AM  
Blogger T-_Bone said...

Well, so far 2006 has been OK. Bloodbound's album Nosferatu is really good, as is Jorn - The Duke. Nothing else really stands out for me, but with new albums due from Iron Maiden, Agalloch and hopefully Moonsorrow, it may be a good year after all. However, so far 2005 seems to be better.

PS - OM2 stinks

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home