Thursday, December 14, 2006

Never jumped or clunked

In talking about Jumping the shark yesterday, I also thought about who never jumped or who never put out a single album that was anything less than good. So the only rules are:

-that the band has to have done at least four full length studio albums
-they have to have all been at least good with no clunkers and not even any average albums.


I think it is a tough one. Even some of my all time favorites have done clunkers and mediocre albums. I love Rush, but I think Power Windows and Hold your fire are mediocre albums. Led Zeppelin had a great career, but In through the out door is average at best to me. So here are a few that I have thought of.

-Motorhead: March or die is my least favorite album, but even it is good. So I will say that they never jumped or clunked.

-Thin Lizzy: I have not heard every one of their albums, but have heard most. They seemed very consistent and I think that they never jumped.

-Armored Saint: Each of their first four albums was better than the one before it and their reunion album was good. So never jumped.

-Testament: I know that some people didn't like the Ritual, but I liked it a lot. So I going to say that they never jumped.

-Cinderella: Just makes the four album minimum. The first and last albums were good and the two in the middle were great. Never jumped even though they have not done a studio album in twelve years.

**I have been kind of picky on this. There are a lot of bands that came to mind that had only one album that wasn't good, but that was enough to keep them out. Like for example if Ratt had never done a reunion album then they would easily make this list. However they did that wretched self-titled lp in 1999 (not to be confused with the great self-titled ep form 1983). So who do you think never jumped or put out a clunker?

13 Comments:

Blogger The Mule said...

I'll say Voivod (while admitting I'm a fanboy). Though the Forrest-era albums weren't quite up to the standard of previous releases, they were still pretty heavy and uncompromisng.

I think In Through the Out Door is a great album, so yeah, Zeppelin never jumped.

Among newer bands, Enslaved, and Emperor never jumped, IMO.

12:59 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Tesla is close--you might say thay Bust a Nut isn't as good as their earlier albums--and you'd be right--but every album they've put out has had solid rock on it.

Tool probably qualifies, too.

-- david

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figured that the Beatles would qualify for this list but even they put out a couple of mediocre albums. This is tough one.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with the captain there - it is hard not to screw up at least once.

but i'd say that led zep and motorhead have earned that rare honor of always getting it right.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really tough...I can't think of one. Even my favorites put out at least one crap album. I'll jump on board with Cinderella though. If we're talking new bands...how about Black Label Society?

6:18 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Mark, I'm printing your top 5 albums on Monday, hope that's O.K ?

6:46 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

the mule-I have never been a big fan of Voivod. I think Zeppelin jumped on Precense.

David-I have only heard the first two albums, but I never heard any fans being up in arms over any of their albums.

Captain Corky-It's tougher than you think at first.

Earl-See my response to the mule above about Zeppelin.

rockdog-I have never heard a single BLS album.

Sgt. Fluffy-Overkill come close, but I can't quite say that "I hear black" was a good album.

Ben-That's great. Thanks.

Trouble to me never jumped. They changed styles, but all good albums. However, they have the long delayed reunion album due out early in 2007.

7:09 AM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

I'm with Voivod too. I thought I was alone in liking "The Outer Limits" but it is a damned fine album.
Doom/death metal band Paramaecium have been solid. And Falconer too, despite my hesitancy for Grime vs. Grandeur which has rather grown on me, they've been very solid.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good point about overkill. geez, these guys just don't know when to quit ... which is good :)

9:07 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

The Beatles never jumped. Zeppelin never jumped either. Prescence is only an average album by Zeppelin terms. It'd be the best album of their career for most bands. If you throw out Cut the Crap which isn't really a Clash album, they never jumped. I think you could make an argument against these, but I don't think Government Issue or 7 Seconds ever jumped (the argument would be were they truly great). I don't think the Bad Brains ever jumped. Anthrax comes pretty close, but State of Euphoria is probably less than good. Fu Manchu never jumped. The White Stripes never jumped.

I think Voivod jumped with Negatron.

I think there are a lot of bands who never jumped, but they might not count as great bands, because they didn't get outside of their genre and have any mass appeal.

11:22 PM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I'll agree with your Cinderella assessment..but not your Zeppelin one, I thought they did good all the way through. But Coda sucked, although I think that came out after they already broke up anyway, I think.

I really can't come up with anyone who didn't screw up somewhere along the line...what about the Scorpions?

6:07 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Bob-Anthrax don't make it becauase of State of Euphoria and Stomp 442 is kind of average as well. I never heard anything from 7 seconds after the 80's. You may be right about Fu Manchu. Sleep and Minor Threat never jumped, but they don't have the minimum number of albums I listed. However both did more in a short period than some of these other bands did in six or seven albums.

Onmywatch-In 1999 the Scorpions did an album called Eye 2 eye. I have not heard it, but it got some bad reviews for the change in style.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll agree with all on Motorhead, Cinderella, Led Zep, and The Beatles.

I'd put Primal Fear in there, although most people get put off by Power Metal. Balance Of Power has had 5 strong albums.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home