Thursday, January 25, 2007

Metal at the start of 1987

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The year 1986 saw some big changes for hard rock and metal. The big one was probably speed metal such as bands like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and others emerged from the underground. These bands found new fans and their popularity grew. Young commercial hard rock bands were becoming popular as well because Bon Jovi, Poison and Cinderella were all finding success in 1986. The veterans were having success too as Van Halen and Ozzy moved up higher on the billboard charts than ever before. So at the start of 1987 I think it was anticipated that metal just going to get bigger and bigger. More hard rock and metal bands were being signed to major labels. I also think that more sub-genres of hard rock and metal would emerge in 1987. It wasn't just simple hard rock and metal any more as other sub-genres were popping up. This year would see more glam bands as well as the beginnings of doom, black and death metal. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself because it won't be until December of this year that I unveil my top ten of 1987. I will also be talking about specific albums from 1987 throughout this year. However, I would say it was a very strong year for hard rock and metal. Maybe not as many great albums as 1986, but maybe there were more good albums in 1987.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG......

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife is taking a music class at school, and she says that there is a difference between glam bands and hair bands. Is this true Mark? The book she is reading says that bands like Kiss, Alice Cooper and Queen are Glam bands. I don't understand how Poison or Motley for example, are any different.

2:02 AM  
Blogger José Carlos Santos said...

ah, i'm curious about the rest of this list! it sure starts off well...


re:captain corky - i can see what she's going for. i don't know if i'd separate those two sets of bands with the same semantics, but there is a difference in my head at least, both in attitude and in the music itself.

and, personally, using that terminology, i like glam and i don't like hair. :P

2:47 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

etain-thanks

Captain Corky-The term glam bands has been used to describe early-mid 70's bands like Alice Cooper, Sweet, New York Dolls and others. I am not sure if it was used in the 1970's, but it was used in the 80's when talking about those bands. Yet it was also used in magazines in the mid to late 80's for Twisted Sister, Poison, Motley Crue and others. Remember the term hair band was not used until the very late 90's when many of these bands started doing reunion tours.
Personally I hate the term hair band and if forced to choose, I would use terms like 70's glam and 80's glam to describe these bands. That's just me though.

jose-I don't like the hair label either.

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The darkness is then mordern day Glam band...right?

4:01 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

etain-I am proud to say that I have not heard the Darkness.

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Among The Living is by far my favorite Anthrax recording!

I also can't stand the term "hair band" and prefer Glam Rock as a general term...of course, you can then break all that down into specific categories...but I'm way too lazy for that...

In closing, it's all rock n roll to me, Bro!

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Anthrax, they just booted Joey out again. I hope John Bush has better sense than to rejoin this sinking ship.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

rockdog-I try to only use labels when I think that it helps to explain a band's sound to someone.

Fred-I am not surprised. Their last album didn't sell well. So they hire Joey so they can headline a few shows and get quick cash. Joey self-released an album back in 2003 and it was pretty good. Unless John Bush is just completely wanting to be with his family then I think he may come back. Jeff Duncan and Joey Vera are doing projects which means there are no upcoming Armored Saint plans. Scott Ian has just been trying to cash in wherever he can. I like Anthrax, but Scott and Charlie have never taken blame for anything. Anytime they hit a slump they blame someone else.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whahahahahah...good Job metal mark....you crack me up!!!!

2:18 AM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

It's nice to hear a sum up of the past metal scene. I was too young for metal at that point, but I've been exploring the music alot these days. Thanks.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I still love 1987 for all of the good and the bad. I do see it as the pivotal point of no return for metal and the directions it was heading into. I just recall so much of it going pop, yet the underground was as strong as it ever enjoyed during the original metal run. I think that's what was so endearing to me; my tapes and albums just went out the roof because there was so much good stuff beneath the fluff. Mark and I can testify to buying the crap out of everything in sight.

Plus 1987 was my weekly addiction to the original Headbangers Ball. Never missed it, even if I had to come home and go back out. It was religion.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home