Friday, June 01, 2007

Crimson Glory-Transcendence, 1988

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I was going to do the Sea Hags today, but just didn't get time to listen it. However I did get time to listen to this one so I will do it today. This was the sophomore effort from Florida based Crimson Glory. They were most known for two things.
1-Those silly metal masks they wore.
2-Sounding a lot like Queensryche.
Indeed their self-titled 1986 debut was similar to pre-Rage for order Queensryche. Yet this album sees the band stretching out their wings a bit more and taking some chances. Also their playing and writing skills seem sharper and a little more advanced than on their debut. This album is perhaps less accessible than Queensryche, but more involved. I also hear some King Diamond and early Rising Force in their music as well. Midnight's vocals are fairly high at times which may not be for everyone, but he sings with emotion so that helps. Though the playing is involved, it is for the sake of the whole song. I don't feel that it is overdone in any way. I think they have a good sense of when to change things up and they manage to not be too predictable. This helps keep things interesting for the most part. As far 1980's progressive metal goes these guys tend to be a side note next to bands like Queensryche and Fates Warning and that not be fair because this is a strong album. My only big complaint is the ultra slick production. I think some traditional fans hear the term "progressive metal" and cringe because they think that means lofty playing and not enough "heavy" metal. Sometimes that's true and I would like to have heard a slightly heavier edge to this album. Still all in all a good album that's held up reasonably well.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

for some reason, I thought Wade Black sang on this album...which one did he do?

4:42 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Ray-Astronomica the reunion album which was like 1998 or 99.

5:25 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

If I hadn't heard the music, I'd look at the cover and think it was New Age.

-- david

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray-Wade Black sang on Astronomica, which came out in the late 90s, I believe

I am a big fan of Crimson Glory, although I came at them kind of backwards. I first got into them with Strange and Beautiful and then went back and got Transcendence and the debut. I got into them AFTER the silly mask stage! Transcendence has some really cool stuff on it. Lonely, Burning Bridges, Masque of the Red Death, Where Dragons Rule, and In Dark Places are all very solid songs. Yes, the lyrics can get a bit silly on things like Where Dragons Rule, but the songs rock well enough that you overlook it...

I've just cranked this up on my iPod this morning!

5:28 AM  
Blogger aXe mAn said...

Crimson Glory was a pretty good band. I heard some of their songs, and thought it was good. I have to go back and listen to them some more...

9:09 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Thanks, Mark and Robert; I totally forgot and was too lazy to dig through my interview tapes. I interviewed Wade when he was in Leash Law and we talked about Crimson Glory, but only for about 10 minutes.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

ray-Midnight was back in the band for some reunion shows last year I think.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Bobs B & B said...

I had a lot of time for this band, both 'Transcendence' and their debut release were great rock albums, I also saw the band live supporting Ozzy in '86 at the Hammersmith Odeon. :-)

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home