Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Shadowside-Theatre of shadows

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Shadowside-Theatre of shadows
Chavis
2007

Brazilian band Shadowside have been around for six years and have been working very hard to get noticed. Their album “Theare of shadows” is due for a worldwide release this month and they currently playing a few tour dates here in the states. I was a little worried when I first stuck in this CD because I was greeted by blast of keyboards and I was immediately fearing the worst. However, my fears were soon alleviated as the keyboards gave way to some solid metal. The first comparison that comes to mind musically is early Helloween. Perhaps mainly on the side of the first Keeper of seven keys album, but with some touches of the “Walls of Jericho” album as well. I also thought there was some Judas Priest in there as well, but on second thought they sound a little more like bands that were influenced by classic Priest such as Damien and Malice. Vocalist Dani Nolden surprisingly sounds a little like Rob Halford at times, but of course she doesn’t quite have that range. Although she does have a slightly rough tone to her voice that actually helps gives it a raw feel. What I like about this album is that they stuck more to an earlier style of power metal as opposed to the newer style of power metal. This means there is a little more focus on the heaviness factor. It also seems like they charge straight ahead for the majority of the time and have a greater concern for power than for finesse. However, I never got a real sense that they defined their own sound as much as they just honored their influences. That doesn’t take away from it being a good album, but it does take away from it being an original one. There were also times where the vocals and music were not quite on the same track with one being off from the other. I think that might actually be a slight writing problem, but that can be mended in time. I have heard several bands like this in recent years and I did find this one of the better releases because of the lively approach they have taken to their music. They aren’t going to set the metal world on fire, but it will get some plays from my stereo in the upcoming months.




http://www.myspace.com/shadowsideband

4 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

I forgot to mention that the last track here is a decent cover of Dio's rainbow in the dark.

8:14 PM  
Blogger captain corky said...

It's cool that you're showcasing them here.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well mark I think they already are setting the world on fire, at least mine they are!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Captain Corky-Thanks.

Steve-Welcome. It's a good album, but not anything that I have not heard before.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home