Monday, January 21, 2008

Brainstorm-Downburst

Photobucket
Metal Blade
2008

I actually never heard of Germany’s Brainstorm until recently yet they have been in existence for almost two decades. That’s a shame because they obviously have a great deal to offer. Downburst is fairly potent blending of power metal, classic style heavy metal and thrash to a lesser extent. They hammer at their songs with no hesitation and attack most of them with a flurry of riffs. Brainstorm does a good job of balancing between melodic and heavy. One of my biggest problems with power metal is that some band get too caught up in the flourish and pageantry part that they forget that it’s a metal album. Brainstorm never for one second let you forget that they are a metal band. The vocals are extremely solid with a huge range and a great deal of consistency. This band is not doing a whole lot new, but they are certainly proficient at what they do. A few songs tend to get a little too repetitive as I found my attention drifting here and there. Largely it’s a good album that I will be playing for a while.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rhodeislandrock said...

I've been into Brainstorm since AMBUGUITY (2000) and they are one of the top Power Metal bands. When I say "top" I don't mean in the popular sense, I'm talking talent. Power Metal is a crowded, and diluted, style of Metal...Brainstorm keeps it interesting.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow (1/22) when this is released!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Yeah... good band. I really enjoyed "Soul Temptation" a while back.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Steve-Power metal isn't usually my favorite genre because so many bands tend to do the same thing over and over. However I enjoyed this album pretty well.

Bill-I'll have to check out some of their back catalog at some point.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home