Saturday, December 27, 2008

Top 5 worst albums of 2008

This year was a good one for music, but there were a few clunkers as well.

5)Uli Jon Roth-Under a dark sky
A huge dose of self-indulgent pulp.
http://metalmark.blogspot.com/2008/09/uli-jon-roth-under-dark-sky.html

4)Dragonforce-Ultra Beatdown
This band just seems to be getting worse with each album.
http://metalmark.blogspot.com/2008/08/dragonforce-ultra-beatdown.html

3)Judas Priest-Nostradamus
A bad concept, bad music and definitely some bad writing. It's a shame how far the once Priest have fallen.
http://metalmark.blogspot.com/2008/06/judas-priest-nostradamus.html

2)Bret Michaels-Rock my world
If this is the best he can do then he needs to stick to reality shows.
http://metalmark.blogspot.com/2008/06/bret-michaels-rock-my-world.html

1)Asia-Phoenix
This album was forced and painfully dull.
http://metalmark.blogspot.com/2008/04/asia-phoenix.html

That's going to wrap up for my 2008 awards.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

I would have to agree on three of your 5 Worst. ( I haven't heard the other two. )

The new Steelheart album is pretty bad too. I haven't gotten around to reviewing it yet.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

looks like you have the same link to Dragonforce as Priest...I haven't heard all of Dragonforce, but I can tell they've embraced a formula and aren't deviating from it considering the youth of today aren't used to such speed and proficiency...the milking effect at its worst

4:12 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Rob-Fortunately there were not a lot of bad albums this year.

Ray-All fixed so you can read about Dragonforce deserve.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Rhodeislandrock said...

I have Asia and Bret Michaels in my 5 Worst Albums of 2008 and Dragonforce was close to getting on that list but the new Queen album really took hold of that #5 slot.

Two of my Top 30 are on your list:
Judas Priest #4
Uli Jon Roth #28

I agree, 2008 was a year with few duds. I hope 2009 is just as good.

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction
http://hardrockheavymetal.wordpress.com/

10:43 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Steve-There were only like two other albums that I actually considered for this list so not a bad year at all.

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark - How are you? FredCQ here. I have to agree with you on Judas Priest. I can barely get through that album even when I force myself.

I stopped blogging for a bit, but I started up again. Hope all is well.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I remember reading it the first time...I was impressed on the first go-round, but from what I've heard on this one, it's the same recycled stuff. I was listening to kids talk in line for the R&TT used CD sale since I had gift certs to burn, and they were all geeking on Dragonforce. Too bad they didn't live the first wave of metal since this sounds utterly impressive to them. Proficiency-wise, Dragonforce are highly impressive; songwriting-wise, I've left their cause

9:23 PM  
Blogger John said...

Nostadumbass is terrible. I listened to it once. Won't make that mistake again. I went down to NY for Metal Masters last summer and thankfully they only played one song from that abomination of an album.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home