Sunday, April 18, 2010

Keel-Streets of rock and roll

Photobucket


Frontiers
2010

Back in the 1980's Keel were one of those bands I tried to like, but never took to. Ron Keel's voice lacked power and smoothness and the music was oftentimes generic for the style. I remember repeatedly playing "The right to rock" and "The final frontier" trying to find something to latch onto. There was a song or two that were alright, but not enough to win me over. I always felt that Ron Keel fared better on that one Steeler album although I think most of what was good about that album was Yngwie Malmsteen. Anyways now we get the first Keel album in over a decade. So what do we have? Well, it's kind of odd because this isn't a bad attempt in fact there are some good songs. What's odd to me is that it doesn't sound like Keel did in the 80's and that may be why I like it a little more than I figured I would. It's almost like they tried to sound like everyone except what Keel sounded like twenty plus years ago. A few of the early tracks have a late 70's almost classic rock vibe mixed in while later in the album there is a song or two that sound like classic AC/DC and even some traces of Van Halen pop up towards the end. So I guess since there were no good old days to go back to for Keel that they reached into someone else's past instead. Guitarists Brian Jay and Marc Ferrari show far more here than they ever did on Keel's original run. Now Ron Keel also gives a better effort, but the results for him are not as strong as they were for the guitarists. Still he gives it a good try and hits on some moments. Now all that gushing aside, don't believe all the hype that many are pushing towards this album. I would give them a "B" for effort and a "C" for results. There are some good songs, but there are dry fillers too. It definitely exceeded my expectations, but they were not that high to begin with. Still in a time where many older bands just put out warmed over versions of their previous selves Keel actually tried to make it an album that rocked. They didn't totally succed, but there are more hits than misses on "Streets of rock and roll".

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home