Thursday, April 01, 2010

Six Dead Horses-Horn Tusk Antler

Photobucket


Self-produced
2010

Normally I like to come with my own descriptions when analyzing a band's music. However Orlando's Six Dead Horses had a description of their own music that I had to share. They described their sound as "mammoths stampeding through an earthquake fighting ancient bearded warriors on harleys while listening to sabbath and punching babies in the faces". It's over the top and comes across like they threw every ultra heavy image they could into the pot. Fortunately that's how they approach the three songs on this disc. They gather up everything at their disposal at bring it all into the mix. Not it's easy to be slow, but a little more difficult to be heavy at the same time and even more difficult to play slow, heavy and mix in different paces at the same time. This band handle all of that with ease plus more. My favorite part of this disc was these with which they blended the slow, dripping pace with thundering rhythms. Add in the crushing, rough vocals and it felt like I was being pummeled by a 1,000 hammers. This isn't just one dimensional doom either. No, sir. They ease you down into a murky pit of sludge that begins to envelop your senses, but they grab ahold of you and drag you though a barrage of pounding riffs and deafening drums. The songs are all fairly long and they squeeze and jam as many parts, pieces and passages as they can into them. Each song is a journey and each manages to have it's own identity. All of the above made me hungry for more. Last but not least I have to mention the hand made, wrapped packaging which caught my attention before I even played the disc. My thoughts were if they put that much care and effort into the package then I'll bet put the same work ethic into the music. Sure enough they proved me right. Definitely check this band out.

www.myspace.com/sixdeadhorses

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home