Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Best and worst album covers of 2010

Ah, album covers I still love to look at them. That's not to say they are all good, but I still spend time looking at album covers and it's good to know there are still some fine covers coming out. Let's look at the not so good or bad if you will.

Here are a couple for the could have been better category.

Photobucket
Yeah, it's Eddie, but if a Maiden cover doesn't strike you as being cool right away then something is wrong.


Photobucket
The Helloween logog looks good, but the main image is like a steampunk version of a blender blade. It's okay, but not really front cover worthy.

Photobucket
Davie Rock Feinstein's cover is just totally bland. How much thought really went into this cover?

And...
Photobucket
Lethal Saint's cover is going for a DIY/early thrash cover kind of look, but it comes across as more of a "sketch on a book cover by a bored 8th grader" kind of look.



And finally...
Photobucket
Yngwie in his normal "I am wanker see me pose" stance. There are worse Yngwie covers, but once again this is no good.


Let's look at some of the covers that I really liked.

First some typical ideas done in likable ways.

Photobucket
Yeah, it's a skull and like 30% of all metal albums seem to have them slapped on their covers. I like the cover of Earthride's latest. The backgrounds colors and the blending of the object work for me.

Photobucket
Okay, it's a tough warrior with a weapon and we see plenty of those all over metal covers every year, but I really took to Immaculate's album cover. I only wish the music had been as good as the cover...it wasn't though.

Some different ones...

Photobucket
Intronaut's latest is an odd, but catchy cover.

Photobucket
Dawnbringer's latest uses only a few colors, but I love the depth and the mood they create.

And finally...


Photobucket

The Rocketchief cover plays on a definite nostalgia angle, but I loved it the first time I saw it.



***There you go. Feel free to add what covers from 2010 you liked or didn't like.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Aquanet for the masses said...

I remember the good old days when i used to go into a music store and buy albums JUST on what the cover looked like. If the cover was cool then the music must be just as cool. Got burned a few times but it worked out well for the most part.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Aquanet-I used to do that too. Most of the times it turned out okay.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Tokyo Five said...

They say you can't judge a book by it's cover...but I also agree that you can usually tell what the music will be like by an album's cover.

Although I think the album's great...and I'm glad he's using his original logo again---I think Ozzy Osbourne could have made a better album cover for "Scream".

On the other hand, Avenge Sevenfold's "Nightmare" is a very good album with very good cover artwork.

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That DRF album cover looks like something I would have "whipped-out" in my graphic design classes back in the 80's... with black technical pens. It's "too" Old School and sometimes "too much" of a given style does not have the "wow" result it was intended to make.

- Stone

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home