Monday, February 28, 2011

Black Spiders-Sons Of The North

Dark Riders 2011

Sons of the North is the debut album by English rock band Black Spiders. Formed in early 2008 the band released two EPs and were dubbed a band to watch by magazines like Kerrang! and Classic Rock. In fact it was through the magazine Classic Rock that I first came across Black Spiders. A sampler featured the rocker "What Good's A Rock Without A Roll" and after tracking down a friend who not only had the album but said "you must review this" I decided to give Sons Of The North a listen. Musically the band draws upon groups like Motorhead, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, The Stooges and Kiss (in the band's own twisted way they give a shout out to the band in tongue in cheek track "Kiss Tried To Kill Me"). "Stay Down" opens with some thunderous rock that actually brought to mind Soundgarden. "Just Like A Woman" is somewhere between Lenny Kravitz and Led Zeppelin. "Easy Peasy" is equal parts Aerosmith's strut and stoner rock. "Blood Of The Kings" again reminded me of a sleazy Soundgarden. They are cut from the same Black Sabbath and Stooges loving clothe. As is "St. Pepper". But this isn't grunge. Far from it in fact. This is more foot stomping rock than the Seattle boys have every attempted. "Mans Ruin" is biker rock. Dirty and greasy you can smell the burnt motor oil all over it. "Medusas Eyes" shows just why the group has got so much praise in the press. It's raw rock and roll. I can see why this band would be huge in their native Europe. While over in America we tend to draw the line between metal and rock in Europe your just as likely to see White Lion on a bill with Slayer as Deicide with The Scorpions. In a world where bands (and fans of said bands) can not only co-exist but intertwine a band like Black Spiders would appeal to just about everyone. Do I personally think they will be the next big thing? Hard to tell here in America. I will tell you thought that I wasn't expecting to be as caught off guard by this as I was. I'm not much for the current rock revival going on but Black Spiders could give me cause to reexamine my views. Sons Of The North is good place for me to start.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Klepto said...

I'm pretty sure they released 3 EPs (Saint Peter, Cinco Hombres Diez Cojones, and No Goats In the Omen), and it was upon the strength of these releases that drew me in to looking forward to this release, to which I was not disappointed. It was one of the first albums I reviewed of the new year and so far one of my favorites! I love the songs "Saint Peter" and "What Good's A Rock Without A Roll?", just some good old fashioned rock 'n roll

2:57 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

St. Pete was considerd a single. Don't ask me why but that's what it was called. So that is why I said 2 eps. As you said though it is good old fashioned rock and roll.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home